Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Accepting The Life Of A Bartender

When I started bartending full time I used to feel bad about loafing about on a Wednesday while the world rushed by me in suits, then I would feel bad spending a Tuesday or a Monday night drinking because I was alone or with people who were down on their luck or looking for a 9 to 5. I became defensive when telling people that bartending was my full-time job. I wasn't yet accustomed to this different way of living and the different mind-set one has when they take the service industry as a career. I faked my way through conversations and told everyone that this was the life I wanted to live, even though at the time I wasn't entirely convinced.

That is over. I know now and I can feel it now. At this moment and this period of my life, I'm living it right and as it is with many of the things I do, there is no one who can tell me different.

Okay that's a lie. If someone can tell me how to get the bartending gig I have now, in a place like Brooklyn or the Bahamas? I'm all ears...


"Most of my Saturday nights went in this way. On the whole, the two hours when one was perfectly and wildly happy seemed worth the subsequent headache. For many men in the quarter, unmarried and with no future to think of, the weekly drinking-bout was the one thing that made life worth living." -George Orwell "Down and Out In London and Paris"

4 comments:

PrivatePigg said...

Since you asked in your post: I went through a program called Alliances Abroad and they hooked me up with a bartending job in London. The first bar sucked so I quit, used the classifieds, and found another. The second place hired me without even asking for my visa and paid me cash out of the register each Friday. Rented a flat with a SAFFA and enjoyed the London nightlife.

http://www.allianceabroad.com/ob/work/england_01.htm

Larissa said...

believe me its not a bad thing to watch the suits go rushing by. At least ure doing something you want, beats working a job 9-5 at a place you despise in a field you have no intention of staying in. have you tried craigslist? A friend of mine got a job bartending in key west and she loves it.

Brie said...

I saw this and thought you'd dig it. Click here to see all of them. :)

-B

Elizabeth James said...

Oh Jack...don't lose faith...I know one girl in RIC who appreciates a decent writer...Henry Miller...he would have enjoyed your blog...

E