Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Book Recommendations Pt II.

Again, thank you to everyone who chimed in and gave me some new reading ideas. My mom keeps asking what her and some other family members should get me for Christmas and since I have nothing I really need or want, I chose 10 titles from your book suggestions and gave them to her. If your book is listed below, then you rock. If not, you still rock, but just little less hard than the others.

Books Jack had better be getting for Xmas!

- "The Freedom Manifesto" by Tom Hodgkinson
- "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Game
- "Man In The Grey Flannel Suit" by Sloan Wilson
- "Their Finest Hour" by Winston Churchill
- "Factotum" by Charles Bukowski
- "The World According To Garp" by John Irving
- "Cat's Cradle" - Kurt Vonnegut
- "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond
- "Down and Out In Paris and London" by George Orwell
- "Confederacy Of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole


Two side notes: (1) "Dunces" and "Garp" were by far the most suggested books. (2) I'm halfway through "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. My heavy schedule of 15 hour hibernations every few days, bartending, drinking, working out and eating at Ukrops has made it tough to finish this beast. Or it could be the fact that it's over 1000 pages long and such a slooooowwww read.

8 comments:

roosh said...

My recs:

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Kundera

1984 by Orwell

American Shaolin by Polly

A Death In Brazil by Robb

The Brooklyn Boy said...

Dunces and Garp were most recommended with reason. I'll add another voice to the chorus as I make sure to plug "Family and Other Accidents" by Shari Goldhagen. Worth a read, my good man. Worth a read.

T. AKA Ricky Raw said...

I'm about to start Man in the Grey Flannel Suit as well. Eager to see your take on it.

Scott W said...

Jack,

I recommended The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit and am glad to hear you will be giving it a read. I'll be interested to see what you think.

Love the site as well as the column in RVA News...

Keep it up! It's always a good read.

Jack Goes Forth said...

roosh- I've seen you mention that. I'll add it to my xmas list.

Scott- thanks, I'm looking forward to cracking it open. In fact I may just go grab this one before Christmas. "Atlas Shrugged" is sucking my will to live at the moment.

Mike Janssen said...

Right on -- glad to see The Freedom Manifesto made the list. If your relatives don't get it for you, I will. Everyone should read it.

"How to Be Idle" by the same author is also a great read, but Freedom (which came after) is a step up.

Anonymous said...

I think you mean Orson Scott Card as the author of Ender's Game

Chris said...

Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein. Makes you realize that the world is even more absurdist -- and far less random -- than John Kennedy Toole could ever have imagined it.