Sunday, November 23, 2008

Late Late Night Richmond

I went to ODC (Old Dominion Club) tonight after I got off work. ODC is a late night "private club" here in Richmond. Somehow they can serve booze at 4 AM, having something to do with the private nature of the place I assume. We had a "member" get us in.

To paraphrase one of my favorite quotes from a now defunct, and inspirational (to me) blog,

"There's enough fodder for mockery in there to keep 100 monkeys blogging non-stop for a year."

I'm not even sure what to say about that place. I went with a few friends/co-workers and at numberous points we all looked at each other with the same expression: "What in the fuck are we doing here?" Now, I admit to living a pretty sordid life, but hanging out at ODC even made me blush.

I guess there's nowhere else to party that late at night and to ODC's credit, I saw a few friends who I know to be somewhat solid people walking around in there. But to ODC's discredit, I also felt like I was standing in a powder keg that was about to explode. If it wasn't for the numerous security guards walking around, I would've stood with my back to a wall and my hand on my wallet at all times.

On a positive note, ODC is the official late night hangout for every stripper in Richmond, which barring any unforeseen 3 day coke binges, will be the only reason I ever return.

Although after witnessing the state of Richmond strippers these days, I'm not even sure if they could get me to come back.

14 comments:

Bookstore Piet said...

I was a member and used to hang out there in the 90's. I'm sure I have many stories about the place but for some odd reason all my memories of those evenings are exceptionally blurry....

Kelly said...

Fielden's is the gay version of ODC here in Richmond (I know, like you care)... Though it does not sound as sketchy as ODC, like you, I am amazed at some of the things that go on... though to Fielden's credit...they have a huge dance floor and there always seems to be a bunch of straight women there partying after a long night of bachelorette partying...they keep a very diverse crowd...hmmmm... but you have to admit, being able to drink until 5 am is pretty cool... though my old ass can't hang that long very often...

in vino veritas said...

blech -odc. bbblleeecchhh. kelly: i am way more apt to go to fieldens. check "odc" in the urban dictionary.

Anonymous said...

those "unforeseen 3 day coke binges" can sneak up on ya and the next thing you know you're giving a handjob to a homeless guy in the alley behind McDonalds for a piece of rock and then.... well, you get the idea.

Existential Punk said...

Isn't the thing to these late night places is that people bring their own alcohol to drink but they have to give it to the bar in order to be served by the bartender? This was my understanding of Fielden's. Richmond is SO weird.

Jason said...

Is this why I got a text at 4? You didn't follow up with info though! ODC. Yeah, nice. Jack you probably would enjoy Fieldens, seriously. I've been a few times with a mix of people. Everyone was cool. Plus, more lights than ODC, so a little less scary (in parts).

Jack Goes Forth said...

BP- This wasn't my first time, but unfortunately the other times were similar to yours...blurry to say the least.

Kelly- I like bachelorette parties at 5 AM, although I tend to be a magnet for gay guys also, so I'm not sure how that would play out. I may give it a shot and by that I mean I'll give fieldens a shot and not gay butt sex....no offense

IV- Didn't I see you there last night dancing on one of the poles???

EP- They do have reserved bottles there, but strangely enough I was able to buy beers at the bar.

Jason- Happy bday. I sent that text around 9 pm and for some reason it sent at 4 AM. Why were you still up? Bday booty call?

Jason said...

J - Thanks. If you'd texted me on the way I just might have shown up. Then again, it's nice leaving ODC far behind. I'm going to ask Miss Nova to get you into Fielden's sometime. You'd be OK. Speaking of Nova, ask me about Ham-a-Ganza soon.

Jocelyn Testes-Harder said...

I miss Piggy's Attaché Lounge.

TDeezy22 said...

Jack, ODC will forever be "Old Dirty Couch"... Did you find yourself sitting down anywhere? Some buds of mine used to DJ there and that, plus strippers and the effects of the 3 day bender(s) are the only acceptable excuses to be caught there. I live in VB now and went to a very cool after hours club in Norfolk some time ago, forgot the name though (5 Jager shots will do that).

Benedict Smith said...

there must always be such places. you're not too cool to have been there.

the one and only ridor said...

Jack: I was GOING to ask you whether if we could crash Fieldens one day ... but I refrained from saying anything else because I did NOT want you to perceive me as one of these gay men who chases after you ... !

I'd LOVE to chat and hang out with you one night -- perhaps at your gig ... and maybe, Fieldens afterwards ...

BTW, I had been to ODC before -- it's alright. It is nowhere close to what I enjoyed the best -- the one in New York known as The Cock at The Hole Bar!

R-

Meade Skelton said...

I mean no offense, but after reading this and several other of your blog entries, all you seem to care about is booze and how to trick women. I don't think that's very respectful of women. I used to think just like you. Thats no way to treat a woman. Be yourself- thats what I do. I think I consider myself a Gentleman, but then again , I was raised on the finest of manners and Southern Hospitality.

Anonymous said...

If you're complaining about being in ODC, then don't come back. And as for "numerous security guards" walking around, thats not true. I bartend there, and we have 1 (ONE) bouncer. No one would steal your wallet..you don't make enough money anyway. You couldn't get back into ODC if you tried, so bye!