Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Strange Starbucks Encounter

A semi-cute, vaguely familiar girl came up to me at Starbucks today. I was slouched in one of their plush chairs, reading a book and blasting my ipod. She sort of stands in front of me for a few seconds and finally I take off my ipod to see what she wants.


Her: Do you bartend at (bar name redacted) ?

Me: Yep.

Her: Oh I thought it was you. I was in there Friday night, you made me shots.

Me: Oh okay. I apologize for not recognizing you, but as you could see, we were slammed that night.

Her: It's okay. My name is blah blah blah.

Me: I'm Jack.


At this point the conversation trails off and I continute listening to music and reading. She starts to walk away but out of the corner of my eye I see her coming back...


Her: I just have one more question. Do you write a blog?

Me: (smiling) Uhhh, yeah, I do.

Her: So your Jack Goes Forth?

Me: (Shaking my head yes)

Her: Are you really a big a whore as you claim to be?

Me: Haha, no, it's just a persona. I'm actually very different from my blog.... Unless of course you're into man-whores, cause if thats the case, then yeah, I'm pretty slutty.

(We smile. Laugh. Etc.)

Her: Well here, take this. (She hands me a folded up piece of paper).


She gave me her number, but that's not why I blogged about it. I wrote about this because this sort of thing happens a lot, usually in one of my bars, where a girl or guy will sit in front of me for hours without saying anything, and finally they'll ask me if I'm Jack Goes Forth. I guess I should be flattered, or creeped out... either way, my blogmentor once prophesized to me that my blog would get me laid. I laughed at first, but now I'm starting to think that the prophecy will be fulfilled. Of course I would never use my blog or my job to get laid... cause, well, I'm totally into relationships and monogamy and all that crap.

7 comments:

richmondite said...

coming from someone who has met you, the blog is not just a persona. Infact the blog is pretty tame compared to how you actually live and act.

Not that this is a totally bad thing.

RVA Foodie said...

This happened to me once too. I was ordering a falafel and mentioned to the server that I thought their pita sandwich was the best in town. The server is pleased and I tell him that I've crowed about his sandwiches on my blog. Then, a young lady turns to me and says asks me if I'm that "onions guy." Ummm.. caramelized opinions, actually. "Wow, I'm totally here because of what you wrote." Oh. Cool. Nice to meet you. We both nod. Wait in silence and walk away. No numbers except calories. Then I go home to my lovely wife where falafels are received like roses. ;0)

Jocelyn Testes-Harder said...

I've been a bit afraid of what sort of folks Jocelyn would attract. That new myspace page I made for her has exceeded my fears in the worst way.

John said...

I'm sure this will send you screaming -- my blog got me laid, got me married and got me a baby. Of course, it took five years from "You write a blog?" to "You've got a daughter." but I'm methodical. You could probably wrap it all up inside of 10 months!

roosh said...

When i get recognized by a girl from the blog i still have to talk to her for 30 minutes or so until i get the number. You make it look easier

Ava V. said...

glad to hear it works for you, but i've had different interactions. i guess its all what you write about...

The One and Only Ridor said...

I think for everyone who blogs, they had every means to get laid. I did, too. I operate 3 different blogs and the numbers of hits also brought fans who wanted to hit on me in bed or in the park. ;-)

R-