Thursday, September 18, 2008

Do You Take IOUs At This Bar?


As I've mentioned, I'm a poor man. I make money and then I turn it over to debts and bills and a lameass attempt at savings. So when I go out, I try to conserve money and be frugal with my drinking habits. I'll drink 2 dollar Miller High Lifes or PBR's at most local bars. I'll hit SIN nights at Lucky Buddha for two dollar rail liquor drinks. I'll even go out of my way to hit certain happy hours for their competitive drink specials, regardless of how cool the bar is.

The trouble is, I tip like I'm Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber, like I have a suit case full of found money. A 2 dollar drink? Lets just give the bartender 7 bucks and call it a day. A round of shots, discounted to 11 bucks because I know the bartender? Here's 25, keep the change.

I always try to appease the tip gods and as a fellow bartender I know how to tip, but it's starting to get out of control. The shrapnel in my back pocket is getting too light. But what am I supposed to do???? Stop drinking??? Psh.

It's the classic service industry conundrum. We make our money and then we immediately put it back into circulation at another bar.
I've made more money bartending full-time than anything else I've ever done, unfortunately I've also spent more money. When you have a stack of twenties on the kitchen counter, it sort of turns into play money. You just figure that whatever you spend today, you'll end up making back tonight or the next night. Paychecks make it so much easier to control one's money and spending habits. But God knows, a 9 to 5 doesn't really suit my propensities for sleeping late and not being held accountable for my actions.

4 comments:

Benedict Smith said...

when i waited tables it was the same. i'd go out with a pocketful of cash after shift and tip double what i drank, sometimes more.

Anonymous said...

When you bartend, people at other bars give you free drinks when you come in, then you have to tip big, thus canceling the "free" part of the drink.

A vicious cycle indeed.

Easy Sleazin' said...

My neighborhood bars takes IOUs. Nothing but trouble.

confederator.org said...

Where I work, staff-to-staff tipping got so out of hand that we had to make a rule against tipping when your off. Sounds counter-intuitive, but surprisingly effective. That way everyone is karmic-ly even. Until,... some starts tipping again.