Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Bright Spot In This Summer Movie Wasteland


A few years back I, like many other young men, started really getting into writer Chuck Palahniuk. I got interested in him a few years after his book Fight Club was made into a movie in 99' and eventually became a huge pop culture hit. Other than reading Fight Club, then watching the movie countless times and then trying to emulate the Tyler Durden character in my everyday life; I started checking out Palahniuk's other works. He has really put out some solid writing, including Invisible Monsters, Lullaby, and Survivor. But my absolute favorite Palahniuk, even over Fight Club, has to be the novel Choke. Here's a short description of the book/movie:

In Choke, Victor Mancini (Sam Rockwell) is a sex addict who works as a reenactor of Colonial Times at a theme park. To support his hospitalized mother (Anjelica Huston), Victor cons others by intentionally choking at restaurants to get money from his rescuers. - Wiki


The book gets a lot more in depth than that, but the basic premise is that this sex addict lives at his mom's house, goes to SA (sex addicts anonymous) meetings to score women, works as a colonial reenactor, goes around choking at restaurants, then is able to worm his way into his rescuers hearts and take their free handouts. Palahniuk as always, is very graphic and very frank in his discussions on sex and life. He doesn't gloss anything over.

Wow, a poor sex addict does anything for money. It's not hard to see why I would like this book so much.

So the movie comes out this Friday and I'm pretty psyched. I doubt it will ever hit a 10th of the popularity that Fight Club did, probably due to a shoestring budget and a less than star-studded cast, but who cares? From what I can tell from the trailer, Sam Rockwell is a great pick for the lead and Anjelika Huston will be very good as Rockwell's mother. Go pick up the book (it's like 8 bucks at Barnes and Noble) and give it a chance. If you do, I promise you will be in the theatres by next week to check out Choke.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

everyones already read this book.
you are not cool.
Palahniuk is sooooo 2001.

Anonymous said...

I have to second anon 1. Invisible Monsters blows. Survivor's good, Lullaby's good but we all read these when we were 20.

Anonymous said...

I didnt read your post b/c I too am excited for this movie and dont want to read anything about it. Survivor just might be my favorite book of all time. And to the anon haters, I didn't realize great works of literature had an expiration date. Glad you are so cutting edge. By your logic I guess there is no reason for anyone to read
Hemingway today b/c he is soooo 1950's.

JM

Anonymous said...

I'm actually reading it now and loving it. I guess it took me so long to get on the bandwagon b/c I'm a girl in my 30s and there are just so many fricken Oprah book club books to read. Blech.

I can't wait for this movie. If it's half as absurd and funny as the book ...

Anonymous said...

I saw the film Monday night at a private screening. Phenomenal.

Jack Goes Forth said...

Anon- Yeah, we all read the book years ago. The point of this post was to talk about the upcoming movie adaptation and revisit the greatness that is Palahniuk. Who cares when the book came out?

JM- Let's catch it next week before a night of skirt-chasing. I coud use the motivation.

southsidestunner said...

I actually saw this Monday night, as well. It was great, but of course they had to tone down the sex scenes to keep it from going straight to DVD and being distributed by Vivid Video.

Sam Rockwell does a great job, and the supporting cast is solid. You shouldn't be disappointed.

The Brooklyn Boy said...

I concur with the prescreeners -- I, too, saw this in advance at a festival here in Brooklyn, and can vouch for its dopeness. They captured the spirit of the book for sure.