Wednesday, August 6, 2008

No More Writing For RVA Blogs

I had after work drinks with a somewhat prominent member of the Richmond writing community tonight (if someone can actually be called "prominent" within the RVA writing community? I hear that Kollatz character is the only one who can truthfully call himself that) and we discussed the Richmond blogging scene. He laughingly mentioned that I have a "popular blog" according to RVA Blogs. Which technically speaking, he's right. I get more hits from RVAblogs.com than almost all of the 330 blogs that are aggregated there. What's funny though is that I maybe get 25 readers a day from RVA blogs, which amounts to about 6 percent of my daily readership. What's even more funny is the fact that I frequently try and think of catchy titles and Richmond based BS for my posts in an effort to make my blog a popular one on RVAblogs. People see certain words in a blog post title and they click on it. So far its worked, but I don't really feel that great about it anymore because I've started writing for other people and trying to increase my blogs popularity, which was never my original intent. Even if it was, you would think I could find a better way to increase traffic than focusing on a site that doesn't send me many readers.

The only reason my blog was entertaining in the first place is because I was writing to me and not the general public. Now I either water shit down or try and force absurdity out when I don't feel like it, which makes the work suffer and more importantly, I don't get the same satisfaction out of blogging when I start to write for other people. I worry about what someone will think about a post and I churn out crap when I don't have anything good to say. Writing becomes a chore when I think about how people will react to it.

I'll admit that RVA Blogs is a cool site and a cool idea. I've seen this concept work well in DC and it's starting to work well here, but I'm not in this for a popularity contest (unless it gets me laid, which RVA Blogs has thus far failed to do), so you won't be seeing the fluffy "make Richmond a better place, this restaurant sucks, cute baby, wife, pothole on Libbie, blah blah blah" anymore from this guy.

The ironic part is that the title alone to this post will ensure that people click on it.

I would consider de-aggregating myself from RVABlogs, but then I might miss one of Jocelyn Testes-Harders stories (who is now apparently the only Asian living in Goochland county) and that would suck, cause that's a funny redneck, black, Asian, crazy bitch right there. Plus I'm not sure I could live if I didn't have at least one blog post in the RVA popular posts column at all times.

10 comments:

Benedict Smith said...

it's hard to avoid the attraction of posting to encourage/provoke readership. you feel like you're answerable....i had a stint where i felt like my blogging about my mma fight wasn't being "faithful" to the original intent of my blog. i know what you mean buddy.

Benedict Smith said...

btw, interested in reading a chapter of my forthcoming novel?

John said...

Yeah, those fuckers with the cute babies are always writing about making Richmond better. Buncha fluffin' wankers.

Jocelyn Testes-Harder said...

For me, the point is to not be boring. Most blogs in existance are so stupid and mundane that it's just pathetic. The rest are almost interesting, but often miss the mark on offering any new ideas.

Branch said...

Most blogs, on the whole, are pretty insignificant. To the RVA Blog readers and writers, it may seem like a big deal to have a #1 story, or a lot of hits. But, stepping back and taking a look at the big picture can be quite humbling. Thats why I find it best to never ever ever check page hits, votes on any aggregate sites, where visitors come from etc etc.It's too easy to get caught up in " oh it's so important that I post something every day so I don't lose readers yadda yadda yadda". Just speak your peace, throw it down and walk away.

branch said...

Plus, the word blog is beginning to get annoying. I think Web Page will work just fine for me from now on. Anyone with me?

Jocelyn Testes-Harder said...

I'd be happy if people just stopped using the words "blogosphere", and "blogdom".

Anonymous said...

I'm really not trying to be a bitch here (especially since I like your blog), but are you freaking out a bit that you've made your life so very public and girls might be giving you second thoughts because they might (rightly) assume you are a walking herpe?

Anonymous said...

you need this post...

http://blancett.blogspot.com/2008/08/found-in-notebook.html

you'll like the guy that posted it too...

peace.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.