Saturday, August 30, 2008

Channeling Swayze

* Read the taglines on this promo poster for Roadhouse. "Loves like theres no tomorrow" and "The dancing's over. Now it gets dirty" ???? What??? ...Hilarious. Also, just look at Swayze's hair. I'd kill for the feathered Bon Jovi hair...kill.




I felt like I was bartending at the fictional bar "The Double Duece" (after Dalton came in and started cleaning shit up) from the great great movie Roadhouse last night.

My area of the bar, known as the "point", was completely slammed and I'm getting a metaphorical dick in my ass, when surprise surprise, a huge fight breaks out directly in front of where I'm tending. Usually if a fight breaks out and it looks out of control then I'll jog around the bar to assist the bouncers in breaking it up. Last night though, I look up and I see one of our biggest, meanest bouncers actually participating in the fight instead of stopping it. So I did what any sane person would do and jumped the bar, landing directly in the fray. Meanwhile, the now ex-bouncer is stomping some guy in the head and swinging at whomever came near. I tried in desperation to shield the customer(s) from his imminent demise and get him out the front door. Luckily it all got sorted out in a matter of seconds and I hopped back over the bar and kept serving drinks, albeit a little winded from my superman act.

The funny thing is, the fight didn't affect our crowd. I felt like it got even more slammed after that.

After we closed I dropped the classic Dalton (Patrick Swayze) one-liner to the other bartenders and bouncers: "I want you to be nice...until it's time to not be nice." Of course I'm basically the oldest bartender we have so it went completely over everyone's head, but I laughed on the inside at my spot-on pop culture reference.


PS: Thanks to the multiple bloggers who, after making fun of the college bar I work at; coming out, enjoying themselves and tearing up the dance flo.

1 comment:

Ava V. said...

was that movie before or after dirty dancing?