Monday, June 30, 2008

Don't Lie, You Want To Be James Bond




An article discussing how "evil guys" get more girls: BadGuysGetGirls , left by an anonymous commenter, had this to say:

The study found that those who scored higher on the dark triad personality traits* tended to have more partners and more desire for short-term relationships, Jonason reported at the Human Behavior and Evolution Society meeting in Kyoto, Japan, earlier this month. But the correlation only held in males.

James Bond epitomises this set of traits, Jonason says. "He's clearly disagreeable, very extroverted and likes trying new things - killing people, new women." Just as Bond seduces woman after woman, people with dark triad traits may be more successful with a quantity-style or shotgun approach to reproduction, even if they don't stick around for parenting. "The strategy seems to have worked. We still have these traits," Jonason says

Shortly after reading this article, I saw the latest trailer for the new James Bond film, QuantumOfSolace.

After nearly wetting myself from the incredible trailer, I regrouped and came to my own conclusion regarding women, my "shotgun" approach to sex and my somewhat roguish behavior. The conclusion?

I enjoy my actions, I love the thrill of the hunt and the locked stare of two people in the night looking for nothing but the pressing of skin on skin. I love taking new girls to Belle Isle (Yes, I did it again) and holding them against the rocks in some hidden crevice while I make moves that would be deemed inappropiate for most guys and most first dates. I like being that rogue, that guy that a girl hates but ends up secretly liking.

I find that as the days pass, I care less and less about what people think about me or my actions. My actions get bolder, I get wiser and I start to figure out who I am. Is this my end game? To live life on my terms, and not on societies opinions or boring descriptions of how life "really" should be lived? Possibly. Will this change? Sure it will eventually, but theres no urgency on my part. Why should there be? I'm happy.

Oh and James Bond's role in this blog post? Other than my extreme excitement about the new film, he epitomizes who I want to be sometimes (If I had money, a license to kill, more suits and less t-shirts, and a cell phone that wasn't made in 1997.)
* The "dark triad" personality traits referred to above are as follows: The self-obsession of narcissism; the impulsive, thrill-seeking and callous behaviour of psychopaths; and the deceitful and exploitative nature of Machiavellianism. Ummm, check, check and double check.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever met any spooks** or cops? None of those I have known were sartorially adept and their tastes in food & libation were minimal. And Tegucigalpa and Comayagua were hardly attractive venues. You live in a dream world. Why not read ENDERBY by Anthony Burgess instead?

** spies

Jocelyn Testes-Harder said...

I'm the opposite. I'm so concerned with being a decent person that I can barely live with myself. But for me it's not what society thinks, but what I think of myself. Catholic guilt, I guess.

Anna said...

"...and holding them against the rocks in some hidden crevice..." Jesus, dude. That excerpt is border-line creepy.

Jackgoesforth said...

Anna- Creepy and true, although it should be noted that she didn't put up a fight in that hidden crevice.

JTH-The picture still kills me, especially the one of your drunk friends.

Anon- I do live in a dream world, and I can say with a smile, it doesn't suck. Whether or not I end up in a mental institution is another story altogether.

Anonymous said...

I see no problem with the "dark triad" traits, and really when properly harnessed they are advantageous to possess. I did have a bit of a problem with the article presupposing these traits were bad and then going on to prove their value in as far as they help men attract mates. And really isn't the true genetic nature of men preprogrammed to want to spread as many seeds to as many women as possible?
Also, through trial and error, I have unequivocaly concluded that in the initial attraction phase, girls are more attracted to assholes, or at least people acting like assholes. Girls can deny all they want but its true.
Finally, I feel obligated to point out that while James Bond is cool and on the surface this new installment seems awesome, Daniel Craig did state he wanted to do a gay scene in a Bond movie. Homophobia aside, that is just terribly un-bond and out of touch with what the franchise is about. Therefore I may forgo this installment in protest.

http://www.hollywoodgrind.com/daniel-craig-wants-a-gay-james-bond/

JM

Benedict Smith said...

yep. Bond pretty much hits the nail on the head for why broads like bad dudes. it's the same line of theory as the evolutionary theory that women want to be impregnated by bad dudes and then subsequently find a more parenting type of guy to do the dirty work.

jason309 said...

fuck you anon... nothing is "un-Bond" that's what makes 007 the shit... he can do what (or who) ever he fucking wants to. I think Bond has always been a step ahead of stupid social issues, again, part of why James Bond is the Michael Jordan of progression. He's always 2 steps ahead of the rest of us; while ignorant fucks like you hold everyone else back. Go forth Jack, I only wish your readers would stop being idiots.

Molly said...

Well written article.