Monday, June 16, 2008

Child Abduction Emergency?!?

I'm sitting here at 2:20 Pm on Monday, calmly watching the US Open playoff before I go to meet "the curious female" from last night at Belle Isle, when the broadcast goes black. What the fuck?

Across the screen runs the message: Child Abduction Emergency. Issued for the counties of: State of Virginia.

This is all it says and this runs for 5-6 minutes, making me miss two pivotal putts on the 11th green.

Ummm, what does this mean? Does this mean I should go out and invite some of the neighborhood kids into my place and after restraining them with duct tape, put them in the hidden closet beneath the stairs to ensure that they won't be abducted? Is this what NBC wants? Is there a child abductor on the loose somewhere in the State of Virginia that I should be keeping an eye out for? That doesn't even make sense to me. I'm confused. I need more details before I go on a kidnapping spree.

As I'm looking for my duct tape and a blunt object, the golf broadcast resumes, and I forget about the safety of the neighborhood kids for the moment.

Don't let anyone tell you that not being in a cubicle all day is some stress free adventure. It's really tough man.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just on 64 and saw the same on a highway sign. No details, just "Child Abduction Alert, North Carolina, check your local broadcasts". I mean WTF thanks for the info. I feel sorry for any sketchy looking mulleted redneck taking their kid out today, they are going to get lots of looks.

JM

Bookstore Piet said...

JM - It's funny about your description... Saw a picture of the guy and the only thing you missed was the Grizzly Adams beard... The white GMC van... Oh, and all the guns... Think I'll avoid the interstate for bit...

C. Wilson in NC said...

My son was watching Cartoon Network just a few minutes ago and this same message crossed the screen for the state of NC. This has happened 3 times in the last few weeks with absolutely NO information on WHO is missing...or WHO may have abducted them...NOTHING!

When/if they post something improtant to the abduction, people are going to assume it's just another blank message...strange:(

Anonymous said...

Just saw same thing for state of North carolina ending in like 3 hrs. wierd i had my tivo paused and it went on anyway. just wondering wtf. this is all i've found on the internet.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I got was a ticker tape like what you see for weather warnings. I saw it yesterday too. Except today there was a voice stating that there's an child abduction emergency and was about to say a name but got interrupted before anything else could get out. I think he was about to say "Emily." The news is still on the weather right now. I remember thinking yesterday whether or not there was some kind of procedure for this sort of thing like fire drills that I wasn't aware of.
So frustrating.

Anonymous said...

Edit: Does this mean that children in these states should be on lockdown or something?

Gouranga said...

Same thing just happened last night in NC.

The sad part is when they finally posted the full alert this morning, I drove the exact route they think the abductor is taking at the time when the alert was issued. So not only did they send a useless alert, but they missed an opportunity to catch this person. By the time they posted real info, they could have made the trip from Raleigh to Atlanta.

Anonymous said...

i was play-ing with the weather bug and the states and i saw that pop up and scared me