Sunday, May 11, 2008

Money, Money and More Money

We have grown literally afraid to be poor. We despise anyone who elects to be poor in order to simplify and save his inner life. If he does not join the general scramble and pant with the money-making street, we deem him spiritless and lacking in ambition. ~William James

The prevalent fear of poverty among the educated classes is the worst moral disease from which our civilization suffers. ~William James



I spent lunch with my Mom today for Mother's Day. As it usually does, talk turned to money....or our lack of it. While she still gets stressed about money(I can't blame her for that) , I've simply become very zen about the whole thing. I commisurate with her but it makes me wonder how she can still get so frantic over something as miniscule as a past due bill. She's been living hand to mouth on a shoestring budget for a long time, and almost all of that time she had to support an (at times) ungrateful lil grocery-destroying robot (named Jack).

I understand that having someone else depend on you changes everything, or even having real responsibilties can alter your entire life. I mean lets face it, I have no real responsibilities. I do not consider paying a car payment or school loan payment a real responsibility. So I can see where my Mom can get a little frazzled, or any single parent can get money-stressed for that matter.

What tends to irk me though are the people who are in my boat, who have no REAL responsibility (and no, paying your rent doesn't count). The people who only talk about money or how much they make or what they're going to buy. They say, "man, can you believe that guy's making 100 K a year?"

I say, "Yes I can believe it because he has as much character as a piece of driftwood. In fact his girlfriend mentioned how much he made right before I bent her over that keg in the walk-in cooler."

I can think of no topic more boring than money, and I'm pretty sure that even if I had money I would still feel that way. Anonymous commenters will cry, "but Jack, you don't know what it's like you broke bastard!"

My response, "You're right and I'm not in a hurry to find out, now stop wasting my time you rich bore."

Can't you think of something more interesting? Read more books instead of killing your brain cells in front of that 75 inch plasma TV. Get out in the streets and get down in it. Comfort and shelter makes people complacent and afraid of change.

I've grown quite comfortable living paycheck to paycheck or in my case, nightly tips to nightly tips. I'm almost to comfortable. I need to break out of my poverty comfort zone....ha.

I know I've said it before but there's something about living hand to mouth that tends to make people more interesting. This obviously isn't true in all cases but lets face it, when you have money, you tend to go soft.

Authenticity and the true nitty-gritty that draws you to someone has nothing to do with money and if it does, then you're being drawn to people for the wrong reasons.

I'm not bashing all rich people here. I know, and am friends with people who have money, but generally the only ones I like are the ones who earned it or are earning it through sweat and toil. There is nothing wrong with working hard and making money, just don't rest on your laurels once you get that money, or a better idea: start tipping me better you rich asshole. Running up a 100 dollar tab then leaving 8 bucks is a good way to get urine instead of pineapple juice next time you come to tha club....

Per usual, theres no real point to this post. I just feel that there should be less emphasis on money in our society. I have options to make more money and live more comfortably, but I'm really starting to lean towards a more bohemian lifestyle...of course thats easily said when you're 24 and still have wildly outrageous ambitions.

2 comments:

Zosimus the Heathen said...

Ugh, that reminds me of a barbecue I went to recently where I found myself in the vicinity of a couple of people who seemed unable to talk about anything other than the price of housing in various parts of the city where I live. Borrrrrring!

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://itiwapyxu.servetown.com/xexemi.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich