Thursday, May 22, 2008

Live Life Now



"When the revelation that there is nothing after this life but the illimitable black void is grasped, hedonism is the only logical answer." - Roissy in DC.


I had an in-depth conversation as I was closing up the bar tonight with a regular customer, who up until tonight I had thought of as nothing but a loud drunk.

His story (briefly), is that he got married early, got divorced 10 years later, worked in bank for 20 years and then realized that he was so incredibly unhappy that death would be a better option. He is now 45 years old. He is single and he took the money he had accumulated (it didn't amount to much) and moved to Vegas to try his hand and his dream at playing poker full time. He has ups and downs and barely gets by, and even now his mother is a co-signer on a 100,000 dollar line of credit that's his frequent parachute. He shuttles between Vegas and Richmond, and when he's not doing that, he takes frequent vacations (South America ad Aruba mostly) where he has a 30 year old Columbian girlfriend. He's far from being set and able to simply retire. In a way he lives paycheck to paycheck. He is one of happiest people I've ever met. He's living his dream and somehow he just knows that everything is going to be alright, although he does admit to being scared sometimes.

Now, I don't believe everything he says and I'm sure he glossed over a lot of shit, but the bottom line is... He regrets not taking the plunge into his current lifestyle earlier. He admits to wasting time on worthless pursuits early in his adulthood.

Again, I DO NOT believe everything he told me and I know that having a fall-back "money parachute" makes things a whole lot different, but I also know that he's happy doing what he wants to do and that he understands the fickle nature of this thing we call life.

As for the above quote. Well it speaks for itself. We're dying one day at a time.... and for some of us, we're dead within a day or a week or a year, and we don't even know it yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is dope, I'd love it if you would repost this in our forum as a thread topic. This, or really anything you've written.

You are an awesome writer with intriguing ideas, and our new community would love to have you as a member. http://nextlevelgame.net/index.php

I will be reading your blogs regularly from here on out.

Jack Goes Forth said...

Thanks. I'll check out the site.