Thursday, April 24, 2008

Thursdays I'm in Love...With Myself

I woke up today(Thurs) feeling invincible. I haven't drank for 5 days. I've caught up on sleep and even put a few positive hours of sleep into my system (as opposed to negative hours where you're catching up for lack of sleep). My body felt right from a few great days of gym work and good eating. I didn't have to work til 5 PM.

I was ready to write a book.

So I get to a coffee shop with free wi-fi on the west end of Richmond around noon and set up my labtop. I get some lunch and decide that a little online poker is in order before I get poppin. An hour passes (I ended up 50 bucks to the positive by the way) and I then decide to walk next door to the Sprint store and check out new phones (I didn't buy one, thank god) and then I end up reading some J.Joyce (Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man) for a bit. Next thing I know, two and half hours have passed and I haven't typed a single word.

But....... this would change.

I'm not sure if it was the caffeine or some devine force inside of me, but around 2:30 PM I started to have some ideas and I started banging away at the keyboard, without going back to correct grammatical errors (thanks commenters).

When I finally finished around 4 PM, I had put out 7 pages of material (12 point font, microsoft word) and quite honestly, it wasn't that bad. I actually had to re-read it a few times because it shocked me how it actually turned out. On my way to the bar I was considering revising the pages I typed today and sending them off to various editors and publishers. This was definately the caffeine thinking for me, but the caffeine may have stumbled upon a decent idea. It's kind of a "go big or go home" mentality, which I think is the only way to go about things.

I almost put a few paragraphs on the blog tonight but decided that these would be the first of many awesome paragraphs and that I would save that for a few weeks.

I can do this. I'm doing this. There's no turning back now.

I'm punching out another hour or two of writing tomorrow before my shift.

I'm also looking forward to Saturday for reasons that I won't divulge on the blog. Lets just say that I got someone to cover my shift at the bar, it's going to be sunny, there's a river with rocks to lounge on, a Richmond wine festival, and a girl involved.

Jack is a happy boy :)

10 comments:

Chris said...

Found your blog through RVAblogs.

Sounds like a great day! I've wanted to leave my "real job" for some time now to write a book, but just can't. Finding time during my down time just isn't happening. I'm glad to hear you're making progress.

Jack Goes Forth said...

Chris- It was a great day and thanks for the comment.

Just so you know, we don't take to kindly to Redskins fans around here (even though half of my readership is from DC).

Go Cowboys

guy said...

Wine festival? JGF on a date? Can you afford the 10 dollars to get in the gate or is she paying?

Brie said...

Are you a Cowboys fan? ('Cause that would be pretty awesome--you'd be the second DC transplant I know who loves them).

I am stoked about Saturday for similar reasons--I hope you have a total blast. :) It's supposed to be great weather. *knock on wood*

Zosimus the Heathen said...

Ha ha, your first writing session sounded like a lot of mine! Back when I was wasting five years of my life at university, I also found that swot vac* provided many excellent opportunities for procrastination. It was always a great time to check out all the cruddy children's shows on television (and, um, end up becoming tragically addicted to a lot of them); I recall discovering Barney the Purple Dinosaur in just such a fashion. I also remember being a real slacker when studying for my exams in my final years of high school - I take perverse pride, for example, in the fact that I once managed to waste half a day reading the paper. In the backyard. Naked.

*A period of a few weeks before exams started when you had no classes, and basically got the time to stay at home and study (just in case you're unfamiliar with the term; it may just be an Australian thing).

Jack Goes Forth said...

zos... I like your style.

I'm a few years out of "university" or college as us Yanks call it, but I still take great pleasure in spending a weekday walking around in basketball shorts and laughing at everyone else in their monkey suits.

Of course the jokes on me when I'm busting my ass at 1 AM on a Tuesday and the monkey suit people are sound asleep.

Zosimus the Heathen said...

Why thank you, good sir. I can certainly relate to the odd working hours bit. I'm employed in aged care myself, with my hours lying in the afternoon-early evening. It's good in that it allows me to sleep in (even though I'm entering my mid-30s, an early night for me is still any night I go to bed before 3 in the morning (4 if I'm not working the following day)), as well as go out in the evening if I want to. It also means I can go to things like movies and outdoorsy places when most people are at work, and have those things pretty much all to myself. The downside, of course, is discovering just how many activities are still geared towards people who work 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. (I go to a lot of live music shows*, for example, and cringe whenever I hear of an all-ages show being held on the weekend. That usually means it'll start just after I've begun my shift at work, and be all but over by the time I'm ready to leave.) On balance, though, my life works pretty well for me.

*I've seen a few bands from your neck of the woods when they've come out here, Avail and Municipal Waste a couple that spring readily to mind.

Zosimus the Heathen said...

Oh, and what did you do at college as a matter of interest?

Jack Goes Forth said...

Yeah I feel like I miss out on a lot of activities such as a Friday night out with friends or dinners with the fam, but it's worth it when you factor in the freedom aspect.

I get an abnormal amount of pleasure running in the park on weekday or sitting in a coffee shop and watching people go to and from work.

Uhh, what'd I do in college? Drink, fornicate, pretend to be interested in Political Science. Mostly the first two though.

I've heard Avail, I'm just not that into Punk though.

Zosimus the Heathen said...

I suppose it'd also be hard working at exactly those times most other people are unwinding and having fun (I recall someone once saying that that was the main downside of working in a lot of hospitality-related jobs). Agree that the freedom aspect tends to make up for working unusual hours (besides, I've always been able to take the odd shift off if there's something on during work time that I really don't want to miss), and also agree that people-watching can be fun (one thing that put me off the whole 9 to 5 thing was seeing just how freakin' MISERABLE most people look on the bus in the morning). Re your misspent college days, I've got two brothers, and although all three of us went to university, only one of us actually ended up graduating (in something like Political Science, funnily enough). I myself was a science student, as I had this big plan to do my major in chemistry, and then go to Libya to help Colonel Gaddafi with his chemical weapons programme. "Sniff" I was such an idealist in my teens!