Wednesday, April 2, 2008

What Are You Accumulating????

My future commanding officer....


I just wrapped up Terminator 2 and that in combination with a recent post critiquing me and my lifestyle choices seen here: (blog name/post removed. I don't feel like sending anyone else to this guy's lame blog. If you really want to read the post just shoot me an email) got me thinking.

One, I'm fairly sure that the "machines" will not be sending the more advanced T-1000 back in time to kill me. I will never be that important. I'm starting to accept I will probably not be a famous actor or basketball player. While I will probably be a decent soldier in the fight against the machines and one of few remaining humans, I will not be John Conner.

Two, the above post I linked spoke about how I'm wasting my life/time/whatever... Basically its the polar opposite of the shit I talk about. One thing this guy said was that with the lifestyle I'm leading I will have nothing to show for my life at the age of 35.

Hes right and wrong.

He's right, in that I won't have a McMansion and some middle management job at IBM. I most likely won't have a kid either, unless some broad tricks me and lets a couple of my guys slip past the goalie. On this path I will have some money, but not really the amount that other people would consider to be a substantial amount.

He's wrong, in that I will have a great deal to show for my youth. Theres the obvious stuff like great experiences, college degree, a lot of women, great friends, relationships, etc.... But then we come to the other side of the spectrum. What will I physically have to show for my years? Do I really need anything to show??? I say no but lets keep going....

This is where the idea of "projects" come to mind. Its an idea I lifted from Roosh V as he always seems to have something other than his blog to occupy his time, although I do consider this blog to be a very serious project for me right now.

What can I do with my spare time and lack of responsibility? Write a book? Maybe. Try some freelance journalism around Richmond? More likely. Become a certified personal trainer and spend some of my time on that? Something I'm interested in. Read more books??? Already working on it.

I'm finding out everyday that I have a very creative mind... Now I just need to harness it and put it to use. Theres no better time than now to get started (and that goes for everyone and everything, not just me.)

Oh and the answer to the question, What are you accumulating???? THIS: More real, enjoyable, honest to blog, beautiful, scary, dangerous, completely idiotic, embarassing, confidence-building, life experience than almost anyone I know....

9 comments:

roosh said...

This emach person has been trolling for over a year now. He's a computer programmer that takes time from his fulfilling job to trash others for doing what he doesn't have the balls to do. So what if you have money in the bank but you hate your life like he does.

His father did a number on him.

Jack Goes Forth said...

Why do these bitter people continue to read our blogs if they so vehemently disagree with them. You'd think they would have better things to do...

Guess not.

Bookstore Piet said...

If your happy and have no regrets that that's all that matters. After college I moved to Hilton Head in '84, as I had no desire for a corporate job. Realized two years later I hadn't actually been on the beach during daylight hours (other than the occasional sunrise)....

My 20's and a good chunk of my 30's are a little fuzzy around the edges (wished we had blogging back then for a written record) but I regret nothing. Now, in my 40's, I've decided to start a family and have my own business. The corporate drones were jealous then and they're jealous now.

N said...

You know, to each thier own. This guy certainly has thrown you a few judgements and half ass insults, but honestly, you haven't been too nice in your blogs to the people in the cubes with the family choosing to live the life they want to live either buddy. I say do whatever the hell you want, everyone has thier own ideas of what they want to achieve in life, just pushing that onto others that don't believe it is what causes the conflicts. Live how you want to live, but don't hate or downtalk the people that aren't living "your" way of life. We all are doing what we want because that's what is right for us, not for everyone else. I am also one of the people who quit the corporate gig to pursue my non stable lifestyle dream, and I tell you I've never been happier in life, because this was the best decision for me due to my own beliefs of what I want out of life.

Jack Goes Forth said...

n- you're right. I tend to get up on my soapbox everyonce and awhile and its never been my intention to anger people. I do also mention that doing what makes you happy (even if its cubicle life) is all that matters. Theres no hate here brother...

Piet- I read alot and your store is right near my gym. I expect a 95 % blogger discount :)


Roosh- I get one hater every few weeks, meanwhile you average one an hour.

...I can only aspire to reach the level where that many people get that fired up about such nonsense... Good work.

roissy said...

i like the projects idea and plan to do something similar in my life. for instance, an extended trip to east europe, a screenplay (working on it), and a business plan.

bookstore piet - :thumbs up:

Bookstore Piet said...

Before you wisely removed the link I read that emach guys blog. He claims to be edgy, he's not - just very angry at something. He claims to have had(or could have had) many girls and that he has a girlfriend. It's odd, the way he talks about it is like someone who makes a racist or homophobic comment and then claims to have black or gay friends. Add to that his paternalistic and misogynistic way of communicating and it sounds a lot like he's just a couple of steps away from verbal abuse to physical abuse.

My prediction - In a few years we'll read about him shooting a teenager for taking a shortcut across his lawn one too many times...

just my impression.

Anonymous said...

BP- You stole my thunder. I totally agree with the premise that to each his own and no one should impose on another what they think is the ideal way to live life, just b/c that is the path that makes them happy. Anyone is free to choose the path they want as far as I'm concerned, as long as it makes them happy. But this emach guy doesn't seem happy at all. All his posts are angry and disdainful. JGF seems happy with it all and to me doesnt seem to be attacking those who choose the cube. To me that solves the issue of who is "right", although objectively neither is wrong.

A/N

3crows said...

I've never had a normal job in my life. Strike that, I had one for an hour and I had to leave and call the guy who hired me to tell him I just couldn't do it. I've never grossed more than $25,000 a year, and most of the time I've made much less. Still I've managed to buy a house on my own and lead a completely independent and uniquely fulfilling life. I'm 42 now and have learned that living this way forces you to live creatively and that has made all the difference.