Friday, January 4, 2008

My "Cocktail" Lifestyle Fantasy


Well I began restaurant work yesterday, or more specifically, server work. It seems that my dream to become Tom Cruise in the movie "Cocktail" will have to wait a little while (hopefully not to long though).

I've never waited tables before, only barbacked(forever) and bartended(briefly) in college. I don't think I'm going to mind serving that much and seeing as how school loans are due, and cell phone bills are due and other stupid bills are due....I don't really have a choice.

I think I'll end up being pretty good at restaurant work (although I did smash a glass all over someone's table on my first run yesterday). The people I work with are nice and the managers seem nice. For a first night I also noticed many many beautiful women frequenting the restaurant, so thats always a good thing.

I'm looking forward to tonight because I can actually go out for drinks after work. Last night I got off at 11:30 and I was to scared to miss the metro home, so I pussied out. A 20 dollar cab fare can put the fear of god in me.

Right after I quit my real job, I had begun romanticising this whole unemployed, server/bartender lifestyle. I'm starting to see that it won't be as beautiful a life as I planned, but I'm resigned to making it work. Reaccuring nightmares of creditors aren't helping anything, but hopefully I am on the right track now. Getting a set schedule and finding my "groove" will help a lot.

Admittedly, I'm in a shitty mood this morning and I woke up thinking, "Why in the hell did I start a blog? I'll never be able to maintain it." But a visit to the gym has lifted my spirits (somewhat) and I will plow on with the blog and make this shit work. Even if I end up in the gutter, I'll wire my blogposts to friends and have them put it up.

"I am steel set now...I follow the call to the glow and the radiance of the heights."- Henrik Ibsen(I think)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wanker

Wanker is a pejorative term of British origin and gaining usage in Canada and the United States.

It initially referred to "one who masturbates" but has since become a general insult. It is synonymous with tosser.

Wanker literally means" "one who wanks" (masturbates). It is normally intended as a general insult rather than as an accusation. It conveys contempt, not commentary on normal sexual habits. Wanker has similar meanings and overtones to American pejoratives like "jerk",[1] "jerk-off", and "prick". One particular connotation is of someone self-obsessed or a show-off (usually male).[2]